Response from Activision re: RTCW?

From: Mark Spencer (dreadnoughtat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 08:14:38 PST

    While running a Return to Castle Wolfenstein server on a W2K Advanced box, I
    noticed what appeared to be a couple buffer overflow attempts in the server
    command window.  I sent the following to Activision and they didn't give me
    much of an answer.  So this is a two part question, hopefully to the correct
    forum:

    1.)  I'm assuming this is poor business practice to recommend I go to fan
    sites to research something as critical as security issues?

    and

    2.) Are there known RTCW exploits?  I haven't been able to find any
    information on this.

    Here's the deal:

    Hello,

    Thank you for your interest and support in Activision.

    Unfortunately, Activision only provides support for enabling a basic
    dedicated server. For any advanced configuration issues, network
    troubleshooting, or if you just need more information you may want to try
    looking over fan sites for Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake III Arena.
    www.planetwolfenstein.com/server
    www.3dactionplanet.com/wolfenstein
    www.planetquake.com

    Customer (Mark) 02/04/2002 02:41 PM
    Are there any known server exploits for Return to Castle Wolfenstein? I've
    seen some strange things in the dedicated server window that look like
    buffer overflow attempts.

    If there is a better place to ask (the developer?) please let me know the
    email address.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today