Re: sshd: PAM pam_set_item: NULL pam handle passed

From: Matt Zimmerman (mdzat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 09:06:46 PST

    On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 06:16:23PM -0600, Tina Bird wrote:

    > From: Andrew Morgan (morganat_private)
    > Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 16:26:08 CDT
    >
    > This is an internal error from libpam. It means something did this:
    >

    >    pam_set_item(NULL, PAM_<something>, item);
    >

    > The error is that the first argument is NULL. It should have been a
    > non-NULL pam_handle_t object.
    >

    > Buggy code - application or module I guess.
    >
    > -----------
    > I looked through a few more of the Google hits.  They all showed
    > programming errors and no evidence of malicious behavior, so barring
    > any other information, I suspect this is more of the same.  Maybe
    > there's a new bug in the OpenSSH implementation?

    Yes, this is pretty much what I assumed...I would like to track down why
    this is happening, and send a good bug report to the OpenSSH folks, but I
    can't reproduce the problem, and probably won't have the time to fiddle with
    it too much.  It may only happen when the client does something specific,
    that the client from my version of OpenSSH will not do, even under the same
    circumstances.

    --
     - mdz