AW: Response from Activision re: RTCW?

From: vogtat_private
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 03:30:41 PST

    > 1.)  I'm assuming this is poor business practice to recommend
    > I go to fan
    > sites to research something as critical as security issues?

    given that RTCW is one of the more popular right now games, they're probably
    drowning in email in handling it through a frontoffice (callcenter), so it's
    very likely that the agent handling your mail simply didn't understand the
    issue.

    > 2.) Are there known RTCW exploits?  I haven't been able to find any
    > information on this.

    no out-of-the-box things. but it's a modified Q3 engine and Q3 has had a few
    exploits, so I would guess that they'll eventually appear.

    I recommend heavily to run servers of this kind under a unique user with
    minimal rights.