Re: HTTPS scans

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 11:20:45 PST

    >From: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morganat_private>
    >We're starting to see a surge in scans for tcp 443.  My guess is that
    someone has scripted an attack against the mod_ssl vulnerability.

    That I find unlikely since you exploit it by using a malformed certificate
    that the server must first verify. Thus to do this in a widespread fashion
    you would need to get Thawte/Verisign or one of the other large, "trusted"
    firms to issue you a cert that contains the malicious data. While possible I
    find this unlikely. What I would find more likely is people finally getting
    semi intelligent and realizing you can bypass the network IDS in most places
    by going to the SSL side of the web server.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/