Re: FTP back in Vogue?

From: switched (switched@q-east.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 12:49:00 PST

    I think it's the new script kids trying to catch up to the rest of the
    world.  I've seen 2 compromised machines in the last few days via wu-ftp.
    And once the attackers compromised the machine they installed tools which
    scanned for more vulnerable ftp servers... no rootkit, and barely tried to
    hide their tracks.  But overrall on my personal server I have seen a sharp
    decrease in ftp traffic as opposed to several months ago.  It is sometimes
    amazing how long a server can go and still have a vulnerable services.  But
    in other news I have seen a sharp increase in overall probing/scanning
    activity from 80.0.0.0/8.