Re: Question about HTTP DDOS attacks.

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 22:42:47 PST

    On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 eaxat_private wrote:

    > For the last couple days, one of our client's virtual-hosts on one of our webservers has been DDOSed with
    > tons of HTTP requests composed of:
    >
    > GET / HTTP/1.1
    > Host: example.com

    These are in fact valid request if I setup a link like: <a
    href="http://example.com/"> or even <a href="http://example.com">

    Do you have any referrer information to disclose as well? An apache server
    with full referer logging would tell you this and it could lead you to the
    source.

    It may be a DDOS attack but it could as well be just a link that got typed
    wrong on a popular site. (Say with a link to warez software or over
    exposed pictures. ;-)

    There is no evidence this is a real attack with the information you
    provided yet.

    Hugo.

    --
    All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/