Re: ORBZ shut down

From: jlewisat_private
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 09:19:04 PST

    On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, David Ulevitch wrote:

    >   I'm sending this forward to incidents for two reasons.
    >
    >   1) The reason ORBZ appears to have been shut down is because of the
    >   problem with Lotus Domino servers crashing/hanging when receiving
    >   bounces with null envelope senders.(check archives for exact issue)

    Does anyone have a complete list of any other from addresses/formats that
    will cause load issues on Domino.  I know from Ian's bugtraq post that
    anything@[127.0.0.1] will do it.  What about anything@localhost,
    anything@[servers-IP], etc.?  Has Lotus fixed this in any Domino release,
    or are they all brain damaged.

    >   2) A lot of mail servers will HANG or be EXTREMELY slow if they are
    >   setup to check against ORBZ name service for spamboxes.

    Just like when MAPS surprised everyone with no more free service.

    >   A good solution is to switch to using something like ORDB
    >   (www.ordb.org)

    Or any number of other dnsbl's.

     Jon Lewis *jlewisat_private*|  I route
     Atlantic Net                |