RE: increase in scans for RPC

From: Dan Irwin (danat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 16:28:31 PST

    I have noticed an increase in RPC scanning.

    The vast mojority of the machines probing me appear to be default
    installations of Redhat Linux 6.2 on Asian Networks.

    I set up a honeypot to try to catch some of this traffic. Within 6 hours of
    going online, my honeypot had an RPC scanning worm. The worm (Whos name i do
    not know) lives in /dev/ida/.inet/, and installs a modified ps (among
    others), scans a class A for sunrpc servers, and puts the ethernet interface
    into promiscuous mode to sniff passwords with linsniffer. I believe the worm
    exploits the rpc.statd service included with rh6.2.

    A Quick search on google reveals this worm has been seen before, so its
    nothing new :)

    Dan.

    --
    Dan Irwin - Systems Administrator