Re: Logon Banners

From: Led Slinger (ledsat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 23:42:05 PST

    I'm not sure that you will find tort or case history concerning the
    presence of welcome banners.  I could be way off on that one.
    Personally, I see them as a means of generating consent to monitoring
    and seizure of information in many forms.  This is related to ECPA I
    believe.  There is case history pertaining to banners that provide
    information relevant to monitoring.  It's implied consent once the
    banner is viewed.  May be some gray area still, but I believe that's
    the general direction of the court systems.  Look at 18 USC 2511(2)(d)
    and 18 USC 2702(b)(3) abd 2703(c)(1)(B)(iii).  A great case history on
    this is United States vs. Matlock.  Much of this information can be
    found in the U.S. DOJ Search and Seizure Guidelines.  Bruce Middleton
    has a section dedicated to this in CyberCrime Investigator's Field
    Notes as well.  Excellent book I might add.

    Leds!