Re: <victim>server formmail.pl exploit in the wild

From: Kee Hinckley (nazgulat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 15:20:36 PDT

    At 4:02 PM -0700 4/12/02, Andrew Daviel wrote:
    >One idea that occurred to me was to set a cookie in a CGI-generated
    >no-cache web bug (or small icon) that the user would include with
    >their form. The mail
    >script would check for the correct cookie. It could be a one-time unique

    >Or, more simply, your users could be told to set a particular hidden
    >form value and the script set to require it. Clearly an abuser would be
    >able to read the HTML and set the value, but it would block the vast

    I fail to see how either of these would do anymore than give you a
    false sense of security.  You use these techniques.  A bunch of
    people install them, and then a month later spammers are using a
    formmail exploit that takes them into account by fetching the webbug,
    getting the cookie, and submitting the form.  (Or reading the script
    for the hidden value, and then using it.)  Sure, it takes a few more
    seconds for the exploit to run, but that hardly matters.

    >While an enumerated list of recipients can be used, that adds a
    >maintenance problem in adding new users.

    In any good web solution, writing the administration tools always
    takes longer than writing the end-user code.  Spammers make
    administration harder.  It's a fact of life, and it isn't going to go
    away.
    --

    Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
    http://consulting.somewhere.com/