Re: Redhat 6.2 Honeypot Hacked

From: Greg Estabrooks (gregat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 19:08:21 PDT

    > I don't want to start this off on as something negative but here goes,
    > I do not believe in honeypots at all . You run default install insecure

     First off maybe before you go jumping to conclusions you should actually
    READ WHAT I POSTED. "A few weeks ago we had a colocation customers machine
    get hacked into" Is the start of the very first sentence. I do not, have
    not, and will not run a Honeypot. The box I got the logs from was a hacked
    into customers machine, not some honeypot. And the logs where logs that
    the lame crackers software produced which I found afterward, not something
    I had been watching and allowing to happen. The main reason it was
    discovered was because the people were annoying others on IRC enough to
    get the box flooded a few times which drew our attention, I say again this
    was a colocation customers box, not "ours".

    > I hope you post the logs online somewhere , I bet those admins would be
    > interested to know their networks were comprised after you knew they

    I was offering the logs to any interested as they seemed to be possibly
    the same people who had broken into the machine of the person I was
    replying too, please read before you shoot off your mouth/fingers
    regarding liabilities.

    --

    "And he piled upon the whales white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate
    felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have