RE: Strange UDP Activity

From: LAVELLE,MICHAEL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1) (mlavelleat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 12:08:51 PDT

    Hi All,

    With the help of the people who responded, I was able to track down the
    cause. It appears that an Astaro Security Linux firewall box I am
    building/evaluating started making DNS queries to the root servers rather
    than to the local DNS servers in it's local configuration. These replies got
    caught in my router access list and logged because it wasn't expected
    access.

    Next time I suspect something is wrong I will wait until morning to draft
    the email, rather than sending a groggily drafting request for help. My
    thanks to the list...you have been very helpful.

    Cheers,

    Mike