Re: Nimda Infections and code red resurgence

From: Dug Song (dugsongat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 14:33:17 PDT

    On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:17:20AM +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:

    > Code Red never went a way, it just sleeps on the 19th (or 20th ?)of the
    > month and reawakes on the 1st.  Since it is cleared by rebooting then
    > many infections die off over the ten days.

    a graph of unique infected hosts per day since December 2000, as seen
    on our blackhole monitor (watching an unused /8):

    	http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/worms.jpg

    > What puzzels me however is that we see to the odd machine in some
    > unrelated /8 probing at very high rates (well over 100 per hour).
    > On at least one ocassion I verified (from the IDS) that the machine
    > was attempting Nimda style attacks on any web server it found.

    we have seen these too - check the User-Agent: header, and you may
    find that some of them are from a free third-party win32 HTTP library
    (CSHttpClient). widespread scanning for the IIS Unicode directory
    traversal bug has been going on since late last year - perhaps
    attackers are trying to hide their scans in all the noise...

    -d.

    ---
    http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/