Re: explanation of port 1433 scans...

From: Matt.Carpenterat_private
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 11:17:36 PDT

    Also note that several high-profile hackers have made our governmental
    agencies look like fools by exploiting SQL-Human vulnerabilitied.... aka
    "Default Passwords"

    Locking SQL ports down to internal traffic only as well as keeping
    up-to-date on service patches seems only prudent.

    "Benjamin Tomhave" <falconat_private>

    Hi Lists,

    Probably pointing out the obvious here, but thought to share info, since I
    had somehow missed these alerts...

    The May 15th SANS NewsBites had the following comments on port 1433 (MS
    SQL)
    scans as of late:
    <snip>