Re: increase of scans against port 1524

From: Michael Katz (mikeat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 09:36:17 PDT

    At 6/5/2002 04:17 AM, High Speed wrote:

    >last 2 days I noticed an increased scan against port 1524
    >
    >ingreslock      1524/tcp    ingres
    >ingreslock      1524/udp    ingres
    >
    >Are there known issues with this port ?
    >Recently found vulnerabilities ?

    Looks like you may have someone scanning for a compromised machine.  Back
    in 1999, CERT issued an advisory about RPC services being exploited and a
    root shell being left on port 1524.

    See http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-99-04.html and
    http://rr.sans.org/malicious/cmsd.htm.

    Also, eEye released an advisory on April 10, 2001 containing a proof of
    concept exploit for a buffer overflow in xSun.  See
    http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AD20010410.html.

    Michael Katz
    mikeat_private
    Procinct Security