Re: [incident] IIS defacement through FTP, possible DoS

From: Patrick Andry (pandryat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 08:38:40 PDT

    I would advise against thanking him for defacing your site, even if he
    did do it in a "responsible" fashion.  Even though you have decided not
    to press charges, doesn't mean the next company won't.

    This was an act of vigilantism, and it most likely did not reflect well
    on your website.  Had he sent e-mail to all the responsible parties,
    including the webmasters of all the sites hosted, he would have got the
    same results, and placing comments inside the webpage with a note "See
    what I can do?  Fix this!" as a last resort would have been preferable
    to all parties involved.