Re: DOS by Flooding a Network

From: W.G. Iyer (guhan777at_private)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 17:42:33 PDT

    Greetings,

    For starters you can disable all ICMP services except
    source-quench, paramter-problem,
    destination-unreachable, and time-exceeded at your
    border router or firewall.

    If this doesn't alleviate the problem, then you need
    to identify the type of ICMP datagrams that are being
    sent, you can do with a simple sniffer like tcpdump,
    and then block that particular ICMP packet type. Note
    I don't want to go into the merits or pitfalls of
    disabling ICMP, but there are good arguments made for
    both cases.

    Finally I would highly reccomend adding a stateful
    packet filter between your ISP and your network, take
    a look at netfilter.org, so you don't "have to weather
    the storm" or whatever else your ISP has in store for
    you. This will allow you to have a much tighter
    control over the traffic entering your network as well
    as traffic orininating from your network.

    Hope this helps,
    Guhan