RE: DOS by Flooding a Network

From: Mike Hrubes (MHrubesat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 05:37:27 PDT

    We were hit with a similar attack as well.  Bottom line for many people (as well as us)?  Even trying to filter the traffic won't work.  Most companies have too small of a pipe to block or filter traffic.  The ISP is the place to go.  If they're saying they "can't" do anything, then they either don't have the technical staff on hand that can program a router, or they're just lazy.  Either way, perhaps its time to change ISPs.  I know that's no fun at all, but take it a step further.  How cooperative would they be if you had a major incident (credit card numbers taken, etc) and needed to track down the source?  Probably just as cooperative as helping to block a destination address or type of traffic during a smurf attack.

    Food for thought....