Re: New script-kiddie looking scan

From: Luis Bruno (lbrunoat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 13:47:18 PDT

    Jeff Kell wrote:
    > I'm noticing a growing number of scans of four ports (1433, 8000, 3128,
    > and 8080, in succession from increasing source ports).  These are
    > MS-SQL, WinAmp, Ring Zero, and HTTP proxy.  The scans look like:
    Seen several squid HTTP proxies on 3128 too.

    > I suppose the $64K question is:  is this a simple script-kiddie
    > scan, or perhaps a new worm signature as it attempts to propagate?
    Can't think of a worm wading thru SQL Servers *and* HTTP proxies.

    I'd guess someone is compiling a list of target IPs for future use;
    SQL Server can be a valuable target, and misconfigured proxies could
    be used to masquerade an attack.

    WinAmp leaves me baffled. Maybe someone can answer that part of the
    equation.

    Cheers,
    Luis Bruno
    --