Re: New script-kiddie looking scan

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 14:39:46 PDT

    On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 16:27, Jeff Kell wrote:
    > I'm noticing a growing number of scans of four ports (1433, 8000, 3128,
    > and 8080, in succession from increasing source ports).  These are
    > MS-SQL, WinAmp, Ring Zero, and HTTP proxy.  The scans look like:

    I have not seen that one (yet).  I did see a scan through our entire /16
    for 8080,1080 and 3128 yesterday. I've always thought of this as the
    classic ringzero scan, we see them reasonably frequently and I now doubt
    if they are associated with ringzero.  They are just kids looking for
    open proxies to launder their dirty traffic.

    Many people put web proxies on 8000 as well as 8080 and 3128 is standard
    for suid i.e. I think winamp is a red herring.

    My guess is that some one has added 1443 and 8000 to some standard tool,
    8000 for proxies and 1433 because it is flavor of the month.