Re: Port 4927 traffic spike

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 10:35:51 PDT

    Joe,

    A couple of questions...

    > Between 17:09 and 17:25 (MST) our firewall recorded
    > an unusual spike in attempted connections on port
    > 4927 (i.e., we've never recorded any traffic to this
    > port before; to see seven different hosts connecting
    > to it in such a short period is for us, well,
    > unusual).

    You say your firewall recorded these packets, and then
    you said that 7 different remote hosts "connected" to
    the port.  Is this, in fact, the case?  Or did your
    firewall "block" these packets?  It looks like your
    firewall did block the packets (based on the log
    excerpts you sent).

    Since these packets seem to have been blocked, the
    question then becomes...so what?  You'll have to go
    ask the people who scanned you....