Re: spoofed packets to RFC 1918 addresses

From: Barry Irwin (bviat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 20:37:32 PDT

    Hiall

    sadly in my experiance very few ISP's implement any kind of ingress
    filtering, hoting centers in particular are rife with rfc1918 addresses
    connecting all over the place, but I have even seen this on dialup lines.
    If there was widespread use of iingress/egress filtering we would probably
    see a decrease in some forms of attack such as certain types of Do.  Of
    course this comes at the added cost of the routers needing to proccess each
    and every packet through the filters, which may lead to an adverse impact on
    performance.

    slightly off topic  but still worth remembereing.  Back on topic one should
    always stick filters on therouter connecting you, or in the case of a
    hosting center see what you can do wrt negotiating filtering as part of your
    hosting contract.

    Barry

    On Thu 2002-06-27 (10:53), Kent Hundley wrote:
    > However, if the packets have a destination address in the RFC1918 space, I
    > think you can conclude that they are in fact originating from the segment on
    > the outside of your firewall.  Unless something is seriously fubar'd on your
    > router _and_ your upstream ISP's router, there's no way short of source
    > routing to have packets with destination addresses in those ranges get to
    > your network from the Internet.
    >
    > I would suspect either a misconfiguration of something on the outside of
    > your firewall or a compromise of something on the outside of your firewall.
    > Probably time to do some investigating of whatever devices you have on the
    > outside.  I'd also start looking at the source MAC of the packets and see
    > what ports on your switch are seeing that source MAC.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Kent

    Barry Irwin		bviat_private			+27214875177
    Systems Administrator: Networks And Security
    Itouch Labs 		http://www.itouchlabs.com		South Africa