EarlyBird for Other Attacks?

From: gs-list (gs-listat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 12:26:30 PDT

    Mr. Dyson's Early Bird tool has been a godsend to my web servers - Kudos to
    him for Early Bird!

    Has anybody else developed countermeasure tools to combat the other
    vulnerability-seeking worms that are out there?
    For example, I have been seeing between 25 and 50 hits, per server, per day
    on port 1433.  I'd like to start using some countermeasures against these
    attempts/attacks.  Perhaps not malicious countermeasures, but one that
    would do an ARIN/RIPE WHOIS lookup, and notify the administrator of the IP
    Netblock of the attack.

    Again, I reiterate the point -- Early Bird has been a godsend.  I have
    received a range of responses to Early Bird notifications, including many
    thank-you messages from sysadmins.  It would be nice to combat the other
    problematic stuff out there.

    Thanks,
    Gregg Sperling
    sysadmin glsrms.com