Re: Textbook CodeRed v2 Caught By Snort

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 18:57:18 PDT

    "Jeremy Junginger" <jjungingerat_private> wrote:

    > I just wanted to share.  ...

    Why?

    > ...  It appears to be a compromised host.  ...

    Yep...

    > ...  Any thoughts?

    I think someone has never seen a vulnerability scan from Nimda
    before.

    > [url/www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html]  WEB-IIS CodeRed v2
    > root.exe access

    Note this is trying to tell you that it detected an attempt to find
    root.exe.  It actually has no idea whether that root.exe (if it's
    there) was actually deposited by "CodeRed v2" or by anything else.

    Importantly though, it is _not_ trying to tell you something like
    "CodeRed v2 is responsible for this".  The pattern of other gets is
    very reminiscent of Nimda, but it could be one of several generic IIS
    vulnerability scans.  However, according to several virus scanners,
    the file you'd expect to d/l from the root of that web server is
    Nimda.A, so I'd say the odds are good it was Niomda on the machine
    that scanned you.

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.