Honeynet Project - Reverse Challenge results

From: Lance Spitzner (lanceat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 05:21:15 PDT

    The Honeynet Project is excited to announce the results
    of the Reverse Challenge.  In May, the security community
    was challenged to reverse, analyze and document a malicious
    binary captured in the wild.  During June a panel of judges graded
    the submissions.  We are now releasing the results of the
    challenge.

    We received 35 submissions.  The judges were extremely impressed
    with the amount of work, analysis, and documentation people
    put into their submissions.  We would like to congratulate
    everyone on an incredible job! We truly hope this challenge will
    help the security community, and the development of reverse
    engineering.  Based on a total of 50 possible points, the Top 3
    entries were:

    1st Place Dion Mendel                               43.4
    2nd Place CoPS Lab at the University of North Texas 42.2
    3rd Place Chris Eagle                               41.5

    You can find the challenge, full results, and writeups at

            http://www.honeynet.org/reverse/

    Finally, we would like to thank our panel of judges for volunteering
    their time and effort in grading the challenge.

     - Gera
     - Halvar
     - Niels
     - Job de Haas