TCP port 139 probes

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 13:21:35 PDT

    I have detected a noticeable increase of (blocked) attempts to connect
    to the TCP port 139 on machines in our network. Look at these numbers
    (number of blocked packets per a day):

          1	Jun 10
          5	Jun 11
         13	Jun 12
         15	Jun 13
          3	Jun 15
          3	Jun 16
          4	Jun 17
         13	Jun 18
         18	Jun 19
         16	Jun 20
         15	Jun 21
          4	Jun 22
          2	Jun 23
         23	Jun 24
         18	Jun 25
         44	Jun 26
         95	Jun 27
        112	Jun 28
         84	Jun 29
         53	Jun 30
        130	Jul  1
        191	Jul  2
        227	Jul  3
        235	Jul  4
        226	Jul  5
        185	Jul  6
        167	Jul  7
        350	Jul  8
        199	Jul  9

    These probes are not (ordinary) scans but isolated attempts by seemingly
    random remote IP addresses to open connection to seemingly random local IP
    addresses. In many cases, the destination is an unused address.

    This is very suspicious.

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."