Re: Possible System Compromise

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 16:27:26 PDT

    David,

    A couple of questions:

    1.  How does this information that you've provided
    below relate to the title of "possible system
    compromise"?

    2.  Have you retrieved any process information from
    the system?  Using pslist/handle/listdlls from
    SysInternals, and "netstat -ano" on the XP box, will
    provide detailed process information.

    3.  Have the contents of any of these files been
    examined?  Have the MAC times of the files been
    recorded, and any of them opened in a hex editor, or
    even Notepad?

    4.  Has any information been collected from the
    system, such as open/running services, processes, etc?
     Has _any_ incident response been done at all?  Was
    auditing enabled on the XP system, such that Process
    Tracking might provide some information?