re: TCP 1025 scanning worm?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 11:36:35 PDT

    > The sources are all Windows boxes listening on TCP
    port 1025.

    Not surprising at all.  MS has documentation that
    states that the ports from 1025-1030 are used by RPC.

    Have you checked your own machine w/ fport?  I've got
    ports open in that range on my system right now, but
    they're all used by MS processes.

    > The ramp up in volume from widely separated source
    IPs looks wormy.

    How so?  The log extract you provided doesn't show any
    data...it looks as if the initial SYN packet was
    denied.  This could easily be a port scanner.