Re: diagnose compromise on NT

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 10:37:21 PDT

    Jared,

    > Does anyone know of any good tools that can be used
    > on an NT 4.0 box to
    > (help) diagnose a system compromise? I've been
    > playing around with inzider with limited results.

    Sure, there are a couple of things you can do.

    If you *suspect that the system is compromised, I
    would suggest that you run 'netstat -an', fport.exe
    (FoundStone), handle.exe (SysInternals), pslist.exe
    (SysInternals), and listdlls.exe (SysInternals) on the
    system.  If you don't have physical access, but do
    have network access to the box, you can use psexec.exe
    to run the tools.

    Once this is done, and you've captured log files of
    each command by redirecting the output of those
    commands to files, go to
    http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/perl.html and get pd.zip,
    which is under Procdmp.pl.  The archive contains a
    standalone executable that parses through the 5 log
    files you created and consolidates all of the
    information into an HTML file...an example of such
    output can be seen here:

    http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/pd.html

    This will help you identify errant processes.

    If you do find something suspicious, then check log
    files...IIS, FTP, EventLogs, etc.

    If you need any help or have any questions about
    anything I've said, drop me a line.

    Carv