RE: Odd scans and stuff bouncing off firewalls

From: Edwards, David (JTS) (Edwards.Daveat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 17:10:18 PDT

    Hi,

    [snip sweet comment :-]

    > If you feel that
    > the border firewall is impervious to attack or compromise --
    > moreover, that
    > the internal sensors are equipped to detect the consequences
    > thereof --
    > then I suppose an external sensor can be dismissed.
    > Otherwise, I'd keep one
    > out there on the wild-side.

    This has all the hallmarks of a religious debate eh..

    I've thought long and hard about this and FWIW, the
    conclusion I came up with was this.

    IDS is designed to "detect" intrusions which seems to
    imply that it goes behind the devices designed to "block" them,
    else you are installing "Attempted Intrusion Detection Systems".
    Hmmm, I don't think I want to add that to my CV ;-)

    A perimeter normally consists of multiple security devices
    including an external filter (router) and internal, much
    smarter firewall.  So where would you put the external
    sensor if you want to see all attack attempts aimed at
    you?

    Between the firewall and the filter?  But then it would
    miss most of the port scans if the filter is doing its job.

    Outside the filter?  But then you are basically just gathering
    stats and dshield already does a brilliant job here.

    Each to their own of course.  I can see a need to install
    an external sensor if your business is network security as
    you need to test the efficiency of the IDS sensor, but you are
    just making a rod for you own back if you install them outside
    an ordinary corporate network.

    In any case, logs from the filter and firewall will normally
    give you most of the data you want.

    ciao