RE: Trojan? DDOS Bot?

From: Brooke, O'neil (EXP) (o'neil.brookeat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 12:02:42 PDT

    Hi Janus

    	This is expected trojan behavior. Take a look in your registry for
    the run keys, and either system.ini or win.ini has a load and a run setting
    as well that has been exploited by trojans.  A complete(?) list of
    initialization locations can be found at www.tlsecurity.com You want to
    determine what the initializtion vector is, disable it, reboot and then
    delete the trojan files.

    	This may not end it though. Windows based trojans have two
    operational components for the server. There is the 'infector' executable
    which is any standard program with a hidden trojan payload. When the
    infector is executed registry keys or ini files are modified so that the
    server starts every time the computer does, it then extracts the trojan
    server code and saves it to a discrete file on your system. The 'server'
    component is a small executable (most are well under 100K) that can hide
    just about anywhere on the system, given that there are so many different
    trojans. The 'server' component is what initiates the connection to the IRC
    server and allows for remote control of your workstation.

    	A third type of program which I'll call an executable bundling
    program will take the trojan server and stuff it into an existing
    application. (i.e. creation of the 'infector' executable) If explorer.exe is
    infected in this way, when you delete the registry keys and reboot, the
    registry keys will be recreated and trojan re-installed since explorer is
    executed by windows on bootup.

    	Trojans started connecting to IRC in this manner (AFAIK) so that the
    people behind the various trojan strains could disseminate their code
    (warez, uploads to ftp servers, exploited corporate cd mastering stations,
    etc) and collect the compromised hosts in one central location. It also
    offered some form of anonymity once commands to the trojan could be routed
    through the IRC server, since the attacker never establishes a connection
    directly with the infected host.

    O'Neil.