Re: SV: Q328691 ?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 06:16:16 PDT

    First question...are you "jennifer smith" or "Kyle
    Lai"?

    > I haven't dealt with any previous IRC/Flood virus,
    > so I can't say much in
    > that area.  You definitely have done your analysis.
    > I certainly like to
    > learn more about what you have learned.

    As far as Backdoor.IRC.Flood and it's variants are
    concerned, I simply read the alert, and then compared
    what I saw to the info available on several A/V
    sites...and none of it jived w/ what MS was saying.

    > IRC was fun, until the hackers started using it as a
    > tool.  It's
    > unfortunate, but I think we just have to deal with
    > the fact.  I am sure
    > there will be another IRC type of virus because it's
    > effective, and there are so many people on IRC...

    IMHO, it's not so much that lots of folks are on IRC
    (though that does have an effect), but that these bots
    are easy to control via IRC.  In looking at the
    "russiantopz" bot, I found in my research there are
    several versions of the same sort of bot.  It seems
    with the scripts that are installed w/ the bot, that
    the bot itself logs into the designated channel, and
    awaits commands.  All the controller has to do is log
    into the channel (from anywhere) and issue a command.
    He could log in one day and find several hundred bots
    logged in...and simply issue the command to run
    "format c:\".

    Re: your analysis...

    1.  Is there any info regarding what Netcat is used
    for?  I know that if the attacker issues a command to
    netcat, if they've set up a remote shell, there won't
    be a command history that you can obtain via 'doskey
    /history'...but has anyone had access to a system w/
    the netcat listener running?  If so, listdlls.exe will
    provide the command line used to launch the process...

    2.  Use of psexec.exe...very interesting.  Remember
    the Masy worm?  It used the executable from DebPloit
    to gain local admin privileges on the system...and the
    person who put the package together never bothered to
    change the name of the executable.

    3.  "I don't think there can be a conclusion on what's
    lost if the systems were compromised."  You're right,
    there can't be.  Unfortunately, most admins don't turn
    on process tracking, or modify the EventLog in any
    way.  If they do, they don't review the logs.  Testing
    has shown that some of the compromises that take place
    via directory transversal exploit to IIS (particularly
    dumping files on the system via ftp/tftp, then
    launching) result in a process running w/ IUSR_*
    rights...which are equivalent to Guest, not
    Administrator.

    In order to determine what's been compromised, admins
    have to have monitoring systems (Tripwire, File System
    Watcher, etc)...and they actually have to *use* them.
    Since this doesn't happen often...we won't know.

    4. Regarding your conclusions regarding the intentions
    of the attacker...I don't see anything wrong w/ it,
    but I also know from experience that there are many
    folks out there who are so strongly against making
    assumptions of intent that it's almost quasi-religious
    in nature.  Actually, what I've opted to do is stick
    to the facts, and try to stay away from assumptions.
    If files are copied or deleted, state that fact w/o
    trying to come up w/ reasons why.  Just a suggestion.

    Your write-up is interesting, but I'd still like to
    know more about the files...is there an archive of the
    files someplace, or a copy of the OCXDLL.EXE you could
    zip up and send me?