Re: [Full-Disclosure] RE: remote kernel exploits?

From: Jacques A. Vidrine (nectarat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 13:46:27 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 06:40:59PM +0300, Yonatan Bokovza wrote:
    > It might be the case that this is the problem:
    > http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html#scarg
    > I know that a similar problem was fixed in FreeBSD a little
    > later, but I can't find the correct pointer.

    I believe the `similar problem' to which you refer is described here:
    <URL:ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-02:38.signed-error.asc>

    > Since this is a problem in the kernel, it might be remotely
    > exploitable.

    These are problems in the handling of arguments to certain system
    calls.  So no, they are not remotely exploitable by themselves.

    Cheers,
    --
    Jacques A. Vidrine <nectarat_private>          http://www.celabo.org/
    NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos