Re: [Full-Disclosure] RE: remote kernel exploits?

From: Andrew Thomas (andrewat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 18:27:55 PDT

    Comments inline.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <andy_mnat_private>
    To: <full-disclosureat_private>; <incidentsat_private>
    Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 10:04 AM
    Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] RE: remote kernel exploits?

    > choose just because of someone's choice of operating system? And
    > what kind of researcher would've given them these tools before
    > notifying the rest of us anyway? I really think it's time
    > to. So in other words, unless one of these brats comes forward
    > or the irresponsible security professional who was reckless
    > with the information, we can never be sure that we have an
    > operating system with these bugs fixed.
    Why is it that everyone seems to assume that the only people with
    enough skills to find and abuse an exploit is a "security researcher"?
    Or a "security professional"?

    *Please*...

    Do you have any idea how long it took for the format string
    vulnerabilities to make it 'public' after they had been discovered?

    > If they don't deface websites with these exploits, then what
    > do they do? Steal credit card information? Makes little
    > difference to my argument.

    Yup.

    Or gain access to more 'entertaining' sites. What do you understand
    to be blackhat motivation?

    What is a blackhat?

    Regards,
      Andrew