RE: [Full-Disclosure] remote kernel exploits?

From: Blake Frantz (blakeat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 08:00:50 PDT

    >- - I have not seen any incident reports on Incidents, or any other
    mailing list for that matter.

    >- - You'd think several high profile sites would've been attacked
    already with such devastating exploits, but
    >I've seen no reports of this. In fact, if the kids really did have such
    an exploit, you'd think they'd tag
    >their h4ndl3z all over high profile sites. But according to Alldas,
    high profile defacements have been
    >virtually nonexistent in the last year or so.
    >
    >- - Given the skill required to craft such an exploit, I'd think it
    would be way out of the grasp of the kids. >Since no researcher has come
    forth with such a vulnerability, it's logical to conclude that this does
    not
    >exist.

    I'll begin by saying that I am not confirming or denying such an exploit
    exists, simply playing devil's advocate.

    As you mention in your 3rd point, the skill required to discover and
    develop a working exploit for such a vulnerability is far greater than
    the skill level of a script kiddy.  With that in mind, wouldn't it be
    safe to make the assumption that the people (hypothetically) using this
    exploit are equally skilled in hiding their presence on the machine?
    Furthermore, what type of 'incident' would be reported?  Interface
    problems?  A web defacement?  I woefully disagree that the person(s) who
    developed an exploit of this magnitude are going to use it to deface
    websites.  Web defacements are generally the acts of RDS abusing script
    kiddies, whom you yourself stated would not be the source of this
    exploit.  IMHO, suggesting that an person of this technical caliber
    would use their skill to deface websites for pure lime light is like
    suggesting a world class brain surgeon would expect a Nobel prize for
    applying a butterfly bandage.  Additionally, script kiddies generally do
    not understand the legal ramification of defacing 'high profile'
    websites that have the bankroll to litigate.  It's been my experience
    that people of the skill level required to develop such an exploit are
    very aware of possible consequences.  If such an exploit exists, I would
    expect exactly what is happening now.  Nothing but speculation possibly
    derived from someone leaking info.

    In short, you can not conclude that something does not exist simply
    because you have not found it.

    -Blake

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html