RE: What's on udp/2002 ?

From: Matthew F. Caldwell (mattcat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 11:36:19 PDT

    This is the control channel for the P2P network of the SLAPPER WORM.
    The first instance of the worm we detected originated from a European
    University.

    Vulnerabilities:
    ----------------
    Viruses/Worms: Late on September 13th, a new virus known as
    Linux.Slapper.Worm or the Apache/mod_ssl Worm was discovered. The worm
    tries to exploit a buffer overflow vulnerability in the OpenSSL
    component of SSL-enabled Apache web servers. Once active, the worm can
    be used as a backdoor to start up a range of denial-of-service attacks.

    Recommendations:
    Virsues/Worms: Some Antivirus firms have updated definitions to combat
    this threat. Please check with your antivirus provider immediately and
    carefully review the advisory at
    http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-27.html.

    Matthew F. Caldwell, CISSP
    Chief Security Officer