RE: new IIS worm? (rcp lsass.exe)

From: Bax.Plemonsat_private
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 05:07:07 PDT

    Actually you're only partially correct. Patches that do not enter registry
    changes are not found by the baseline tool or hfnetchk even though they are
    properly installed. Some good examples of this are some SQL patches.
    Microsoft has a paper on this on their support site. Another possibility
    that you may be running into is that most(not all) patches can be
    overwritten by other patches or service packs which then requires you to go
    through the patch process all over again.

    Cheers

    Bax Plemons
    Corp Security

                          "Gaydosh, Adam"
                          <GaydoshA@ctcgsc.        To:       "'webbiat_private'" <webbiat_private>, incidentsat_private
                          org>                     cc:
                                                   Subject:  RE: new IIS worm? (rcp lsass.exe)
                          09/25/2002 03:40
                          PM

    I've never heard about this, does anybody else care to comment on MS
    patches
    not actually installing the files?  From what I understood, in cases where
    the MS tools returned a vuln you thought you've covered, it's because they
    require a work around and not a patch [e.g. the hfnetchk warning].  The
    only
    case I've seen a installed patch fail a check was when software I'd since
    installed regressed a file.