Re: E-Card Remote Code Execution Scam

From: Jeff Jirsa (jeffat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 18:10:33 PDT

    On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:

    > This seems an aweful lot to me like a Remote Code Execution Scam...
    >
    > I received an email addressed to "Undisclosed Recipients" notifying me
    > that I received an E-Card today, so I went to the site
    > http://www.surprisecards.net/viewcard.htm?id_num=[Undisclosed]&card=Pick
    > +up to view the card.  Oddly, I received a security warning asking me if
    > I wanted to allow some code to run on my machine.  Noticing the odd
    > choice of form variables as opposed to other e-card sites (not to
    > mention the fact that I could type in any number and get the same
    > screen), and with an eyebrow now raised I went to the main website
    > http://www.surprisecards.net to find "Welcome to the future home of
    > richardoliver.web.aplus.net".  So I figure, if there's no way to send a
    > card from this website then chances are nobody sent me a valid card.
    >
    > I took a look at the Thawte certificate for the card viewer "code" and
    > got www.cytron.com, some no-name development website with nothing more
    > than a phone number.
    >
    > At the moment I'm not in front of any sacrificial machine to test the
    > card out on, but I suspect this email is being mailed out as a scam in
    > an attempt to run arbitrary code on the user's machine using a valid
    > Thawte certificate.  What the code does when it loads I've no idea as
    > I'm not dumb enough to try it on my home machine.
    >

    > Perhaps someone in front of some extra hardware can take this and roll
    > with it.

    The source of the page contains an object tag:

    codebase="e-card_viewer.cab#version=1,0,0,1"

    Obtaining that file and running strings reveals the following of interest:

    1) There are numerous references to both thawte and verisign certificates
    2) There is a reference to potd.dll
    3) There are references to "Cytron"

    A google search for "potd.dll" returns the following page:

    http://and.doxdesk.com/parasite/Cytron.html

    From that page:

    Description
    Cytron is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object. It scans the content
    of pages being viewed for keywords and opens pop-up advertising when they
    are detected.

    Also known as
    POTD, after the filename and BHO name; Burnaby, the internal object name;
    TargetingSource, the name used to describe the control in Downloaded
    Program Files.

    Distribution
    Installed by ActiveX drive-by download on a page pointed to by mail
    claiming you have received an 'e-card'. The ActiveX control purports to be
    a viewer for e-cards.

    There you have it, adware.

    - Jeff

     --