RE: Port 608/trojan/spam

From: Garramone, Michael (CCI-Las Vegas) (Michael.Garramoneat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 17:37:38 PDT

    We discovered more this week.  We also found a lot of Wingate proxies disguised as mmtask.exe, as well as port 113 listening along with 608.  Telnet to port 608 still returned a number sequence and telnet to port 113 returned a UNIX:IDENTD name.

    We have had success cleaning the PCs, but we're still not sure of how the customers have gotten compromised and we've had several more customers affected since.  Our suspicion is just unsafe Internet use, such as low browser security settings or lack of updating OS patches.

    The files were started in win.ini (run= and load=), system.ini (load=), and in the registry under hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run and \runservices.  Some were still in use even after removing them from being run on startup and had to be deleted in MS-DOS mode or Safe Mode.

    The following files were involved.  All PCs affected had mmtask.exe, but the rest were not all on the same PC but there was a combination of several on each:

    iexplorer.exe
    mmtask.exe
    mntask.exe
    mptask.exe
    snd32.exe
    snd32c.exe
    snd32r.exe
    fst32r.exe
    pgtllvabtl.exe
    slideshow.exe
    res32.reg
    settings.reg
    nbvlk32.ndr

    Once the known files were deleted and everything suspicious was removed from startup, we did a scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com.  Housecall was never able to find Wingate, but it was able to find and delete other trojans and backdoors (subseven, latinus, sua, lithium, net-devil) now that they were not in use.  Once all of this was done, port 113 and 608 were no longer listening.