Re: Unusual volume: UDP:137 probes

From: Emeric Miszti (emericat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 08:54:59 PDT

    On Monday 30 Sep 2002 9:33 am, Mark Forsyth wrote:
    > On Monday, September 30, 2002 9:02 AM, John Sage
    > [SMTP:jsageat_private] wrote:
    > > This has received some mention on the UNISOG list and elsewhere, but
    > > not here.
    > >
    > > Some people have been seeing unusually high volumes of UDP:137 probes
    > > since about 09/27/02 late, or early 09/28/02.
    >
    > A few people (who log sych things) on the Optus cable network in Australia
    > have been seeing it too.
    > In my case since Sep 20 it's gone ...
    > Sep 20  2 hits
    > Sep 21, 22, 23 0 hits
    > Sep 24 3 hits
    > Sep 25 0 hits
    > Sep 26 4 hits
    > Sep 27 2 hits
    > Sep 28 156 hits Starting at 02:20 (Aust. EST)
    > Sep 29 410 hits
    > Sep 30 406 hits up until 18:24

    Been seeing exactly the same spike with same patterns. Up from 40 odd scans on
    28/9/2002 to 495 already today.

    Incidents.org have picked this up at the Internet Storm Center

    http://isc.incidents.org/port_details.html?port=137

    No explanations or reasons been given by anyone yet.

    --
    Emeric Miszti
    UK Security Online

    Tel No: 0870 088 5689