RE: Unusual volume: UDP:137 probes

From: Mark Forsyth (forsythmat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 06:09:38 PDT

    On Monday, September 30, 2002 10:05 PM, Brett Procter
    [SMTP:Brett.Procterat_private] wrote:

    >   Hmm,
    >
    >     Internode ADSL (Adelaide Aust)
    >
    >   15 hits yesterday, 38 so far today (22:04 GMT+10), 1 from local
    > network yesterday, 5 today.

    Yes. I'm starting to see iprimus, rivernet and tpgi as well as internode
    since my last mail.

    It also seems that I may have lied when I said that the packets look like
    normal packets. From my experimenting at home it looks to me like normal
    packets have both the source and destination ports being 137 and don't
    normally have the broadcast bit set. In my logs there are none of these
    packets with a source port of 137 and the broadcast bit is always set. Most
    source ports are between 1025 and 1036 with only a small percentage outside
    this range.

    It also seems that the _rate_ at which I'm getting the hits is increasing
    too.

    Interesting indeed. I wonder what it all means.

    Ooroo
    Mark Forsyth

    <snip>