RE: Unusual volume: UDP:137 probes

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 12:58:18 PDT

    Richard.Grantat_private wrote:

    > We had some internal machines that were contributing to the netbios flood
    > attack. These machines were sniffed and from that we found a file on the
    > identified machines named scrsvr.exe. The file was reversed engineered and
    > the results are listed below. While some are attributing the netbios
    > activity to Bugbear@mm it does not follow what we were seeing. It is known
    > as W32.Opaserv.Worm.  Comments?

    Two...

    You are right that Bugbear does not produce the flood of port 137
    traffic currently being reported.  Bugbear does some spreading via
    open or otherwise accessible shares (those writable with the
    permissions of the user that ran the EXE) but it uses standard
    known network resource enumeration APIs to do its work.  Opaserv (aka
    Scrup, Scrsvr, Opasoft) aggressively scans for machines listening on
    port 137 and is the likely source of most of the increased port 137
    activity.

    > ScrSvr31415.KERNEL32.dll.RegisterServiceProcess.SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wind
    > ows\CurrentVersion\Run.Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne
    > Settings.ScrSvr.ScrSvrOld.ProxyEnable.ProxyServer.\ScrSvr.exe.ScrSin.dat
    > .ScrSout.dat.scrupd.exe.www.opasoft.com.GET
    > http://www.opasoft.com/work/scheduler.php?ver=01&task=newzad&first=0
    > HTTP/1.1..Host: www.opasoft.com.....GET
    > http://www.opasoft.com/work/lastver HTTP/1.1..Host:
    <<snip>>

    Good thing that, unlike in Bugbear's case, the EXE was not packed
    with a runtime compressor.  Running strings on an EXE hardly counts
    as "reverse engineering".

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald