Re: Forensics CD

From: Ryan McBride (mcbrideat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 09:20:16 PDT

    On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:05:56AM -0700, H C wrote:

    > > You might want to look at FIRE which is a primarily
    > > a CD bootable linux distribution
    >
    > The same would be true for FIRE, as well.  It's an
    > excellent solution...but by booting to Linux, you
    > loose out on all that volatile data you have access
    > to...

    Earlier versions of FIRE actually had a number of binaries for
    performing analysis on live systems (i386 Windows and Sparc Solaris),
    but they appear to have been pulled in more recent releases due to
    licensing issues. Hopefully we'll start seeing some utilities with more
    favorable licensing in the next version(s).

    -Ryan

    --
    Ryan T. McBride, CISSP - mcbrideat_private
    Countersiege Systems Corporation - http://www.countersiege.com