Re: Strange Message

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 10:49:21 PDT

    "Reasoner, Scott" wrote:

    > At my organization, we run the Microsoft ISA Server to provide controlled
    > internet access on our internal network.  This morning when I came in, there
    > was a Windows Messenger Service message on the screen (like from when you
    > use the NET SEND command).  It's contents were advertising for college
    > diplomas (almost exactly the same text as some SPAM I've recieved).  I'm
    > assuming this means that the ports used for SMB are not being properly
    > blocked from the internet (something that I know needs to be fixed).

    A lot of universities are reporting this.

    BTW. It doesn't come through netbios. We've got ports 137-139 and
    445 blocked and we've seen it.

    It comes from the Windows Messenger service. This service is
    an RPC service. Client contact the RPC port (135) which then
    tells the client which high port the Messenger service is
    listening on. The Messenger service runs by default on NT,
    2k, and XP computers. One site I looked at said it runs
    as service.exe.

    --
    Gary Flynn
    Security Engineer - Technical Services