Re: HTTP attack looking for /sumthin ?

From: Scott C. Kennedy (sckat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 15:27:02 PDT

    Odd, I have seen this only two times since Aug 31st on any of our servers,
    both on Oct 13th.

    At 10:06:27 AM for 11 secs, a GTE net DSL host 66.13.116.* probed 36 different
    sites for this file.

    And again at 15:34:42 for 9 secs, a  host registered as 'www.*.com' in 209.98.111.*
    also probed the same 36 sites.

    I checked all sensors to see if these hosts had sent any other packets into
    our network or were sent anything, and just got those HTTP connections
    for "/sumthin"

    Scott

    cory wrote:

    > I have seen this on our servers, starting Oct 12 with 213.165.144.xxx
    > (only one ip) and then again on the 15th from 194.236.60.xxx (also one
    > ip) .
    >
    > jmaywood1975at_private wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any ideas what attack this might be?
    > >
    > >Below shows 4 seperate potential attacks by 3 different hosts, this is all the activity in my logs for those three hosts, nothing more anywhere related to those three ip address.
    > >
    > >It starts with a request for the directory /sumthin
    > >maybe tries a header exploit by sending a VERSION method?
    > >and connects ssl.

     Scott C. Kennedy
     Lead Security Architect/ Director of Security
     Infosys Corporation
     Work: (877) 772-2347
     PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE27C1102