Re: Source of Windows PopUp SPAM

From: Richard Akerman (rakermanat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 18:45:53 PDT

    >Carv and all,
    >
    >A 'net send' sent a message in my tests using UDP-135.
    >I suspect is varies with what protocols are bound by
    >the applications in questions and the machines in use.
    >The test systems I used did not have netbios/tcp
    >bound (139). The message was sent from an XP professional
    >machine to an XP home machine.

    I have gathered some information at

    http://www.akerman.ca/trojan-port-table.html#netsend

    If anyone has tried disabling DCOM

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windows2000/close135.htm

    and that has prevented network "net send" but allowed local
    (machine internal) popups, I'd be interested in hearing.

    >--
    >Gary Flynn
    >Security Engineer - Technical Services
    >James Madison University