Web log abuse?

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 12:18:02 PST

    Hi,

    At the linux counter we noticed that the webserver logs get a large number
    of hits with a referrer setting to porn sites.

    This seems to be the latest in the SPAM techniques. (See also:
    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,56017,00.html)

    Doing some digging myself it seem the request are made by genuine
    webbrowsers being lured into muddy watters somehow. IP adddresses that
    show up much do have a variaty of user-agent types and a telnet to port
    8080 seems to indicate it is just a proxy.

    Does anyone know how the request are actually generated? Is it a backdoor
    installed via tools like kazaa? Or is it a matter of pop-up windows on
    these porn-sites? (So we just get hit by di...... ;-)

    Any clues on what techniques are used and how they can be stopped are
    appreciated.

    Hugo.

        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
    	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.