Re: Slapper questions

From: Cian Whalley (cianat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 13:13:47 PST

    I've seen a similar incident, very recently (last week infact).  It
    appears that someone has modified slapper to be used in conjunction with
    a root kit (I'm not sure which one, haven't been able to research that
    yet) to gain access to their server.  They then proceeded to use several
    tools to clear the log files (/var/log/messages anyways) and start up
    some ethernet sniffers.  I've included a list of files that I found on
    the system that you may want to look at (though I would personally run
    checks agains all my system binaries as well, I found some that didn't
    match the MD5):

    /var/www/.bash_history (this was very interesting to look at)
    /etc/security/console.apps (found some new entries here)
    /etc/sysconfig/console  (same here)

    /usr/bin
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     apache       1250 Oct 16 14:43 clean*
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     apache      18827 Oct 16 14:43 slice*
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     apache      21850 Oct 16 14:43 stealth*

    Those ones were the log cleaner/sniffer...

    /usr/local/games
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     apache      18799 Oct 16 14:44 parse*
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     apache         37 Oct 17 10:49 pid

    I can't remember what those two did, I think they wre part of the sniffer.
    Now there was other stuff in there, but they didn't give me enough time
    to do a full analysis, as soon as they found out why their machine was
    running so slow they went to work on repairing it.  I kept as much data
    as I could, and it's available upon request.

> [...]
    >As far as I know, no self-spawning trojan was ever created that would
    >even check port 22 - only port 443 would be affected at least by the
    >slapper worms I know of, since they relied 100% on an SSL-enabled web
    >server.  I don't believe they infected via SSH on any port
    >automatically, though it could be theoretically possible (the first
    >advisory bulletins I saw regarding the SSL problem were for SSH
    >actually, the slapper worm was an afterthought that went after web
    >servers, not SSH servers).
    >It seems like you've done a lot right, and very little if anything
    >wrong, but there may be some more checking left to do.  A good place to
    >start is a full audit of anything affecting init (ie /etc/rc?.d,
    >/etc/init.d, your init configurations like inittab, etc), a ps listing
    >audit, and running some MD5 checksums against your system binaries
    >against a clean and 100% secure machine if possible.  An audit on /tmp
    >sounds like it wouldn't hurt, either.  :-)
    >
    >Stephen Smoogen wrote:
    >>
    >> Its a bit late in the game, but you may have a backdoor (or various
    >> backdoors) running on the system. My advice is to do the following
    (with
    >> the assumption you only have 1 machine available to run the website).
    >> [Sorry if it is a bit general, but its from a list I hand out to
    >> completely new sysadmins working on compromised machines.]
    >>
    >> A) Take the system off the network (letting management know why)
    >> B) Backup the system to completely to tape in case you need to present
    >>    report to law enforcement or management (why I need to be paid
    >>    more or sent to that SANS training. :))
    >> C) Go over what you need on this machine still (IE what code etc is
    >>    running on it for webservices that may need to be audited to see if
    >>    back door was planted there.)
    >> D) Reinstall the machine from source cdroms and then put all updates
    for
    >>    that operating system on the machine.
    >> E) If your Linux vendor has an automated system of alerts or updates
    see
    >>    if you can sign up for it or get your employeer to pay
    >>    for it.
    >> F) Reinstall the software that you need for the website to be
    >>    operational and test it for working.
    >> G) Put the machine back on the network and test functionality again
    >> H) Go over all that was discovered and write up a short report for your
    >>    CYA file and to hand over to management over what happened, why, and
    >>    what needs to be done in the future.
    >>
    >> If you have multiple hardware and more than 1 staff you can parallelize
    >> portions of C, D, E, and F. H sounds like a nuisance, but it can save
    >> your job or worse.
    >>
    >> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:42, Griff Palmer wrote:
    >> > Hello:
    >> >
    >> > I'm trying to learn more about how the Apache/mod_ssl worm variants
    operate.

    >> > Last month chkrootkit discovered evidence of the Slapper worm on my
    RedHat
    >> > 7.2 server. I found .bugtraq.c in my /tmp directory and eliminated
    it. I
    >> > updated my openssl to 0.9.6g-1. I blocked port 443 on my firewall.
    >> >
    >> > I keep my ftp daemon stopped except for occasional short periods
    when I need
    >> > to use it. I've been leaving port 23 open and making my ssh host
    listen on
    >> > port 23. (My employer's firewall blocks traffic on port 22, forcing
    me to go
    >> > to the port 23 setup.)
    >> >
    >> > Regular scans with chkrootkit since then have shown no signs of the
    slapper
    >> > worm's presence.
    >> >
    >> > This morning I received an e-mail bounce from cinik_wormat_private
    >> > (apparently Yahoo has disabled that address). A search on cinik led
    me to the
    >> > latest CERT bulletin, which showed information about the slapper B
    and C
    >> > variants.
    >> >
    >> > After reading the bulletin I discovered the presence of cinik.c and
    cinik.go
    >> > in my /tmp directory, which I eliminated.
    >> >
    >> > I also discovered an active .bugtraq process on my machine and
    killed it.

    >> > I've blocked UDP packets on ports 1812 and 1813. (Looking at the CERT
    >> > bulletin it looks as if I should also block 1978, 2002 and 4156.)
    I've
    >> > commented out the listen 443 line in my httpd.conf file.
    >> >
    >> > At this point I'm confused about the mechanics of the infection
    process and
    >> > about what further steps I may need to take to fully eliminate
    infection and
    >> > harden my server.
    >> >
    >> > Is Port 23 an avenue of infection? Does upgrading to openssl-0.9.6g-
    1 not
    >> > eliminate vulnerability to compromise? Is it possible that I missed
    the
    >> > C-variant code when I discovered the .bugtraq code, and that the C
    variant
    >> > code has lingered on my machine since then? I'm using chkrootkit-
    0.37. Is it
    >> > able to detect the B and C variants as well as A variants?
    >> >
    >> > I've run ps on my machine many times since chkrootkit discovered the
    Slapper
    >> > A variant. Those checks showed no presence of the .bugtraq process.
    (I even