Re: Interesting Logs to port 8941

From: Ryan Yagatich (ryanyat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 06:34:12 PDT

    erik,
    	I first saw your response and was thinking that you were 100%
    correct and that someone was SYN flooding my box, however what makes this
    unique is the following:
    	1) source IP's are erratically different
    	2) the times of each occurance are very spaced out
    	3) the packet size/window vary as well
    	4) the target address (mine) is dynamic and had only been up about
    		60 minutes before the connection attempts
    	5) it only occured on that one day
    	6) the target address is on a dialup connection with no real
    		services behind it.

    To go a little bit further with my reasoning, starting at the bottom and
    moving up:
    	6 - there are really only a few purposes in which an attacker
    could desire to attack a dialup connection (in my experience that is)
    		a) the system was randomly compromised by either a virus
    or some form of 'i accidentally opened that attachment and now the network
    is down'. and was sending out initial requests in which they were trying
    to respond.
    		b) the address that i was using had been in use by another
    person whom had been flooded off the network or just disconnected.
    		c) it was a randomly selected IP address that a DDoS was
    to be performed on...
    	5 - since it only occured on the one day it makes me almost think
    that it could have been an attempt at a DDoS to my system or that the
    source addresses were not really what they claimed to be
    	4 - that 60 minute period only occured since my connection was
    running at a smooth 9600 baud and IRC couldn't keep up with it
    	3 - this makes me think that they are either different platforms
    (see below) or it is a subvert way of deferring the target's thoughts to
    hide what is really happening.
    	2 - if this were a DDoS or any SYN flood attempt, 3 SYN packets
    going in is hardly enough to bring down a line, even that of a dialup
    connection at 9600 baud. Since the timestamps between each occurance are
    also spread out a DDoS can _almost_ be ignored as they are not occuring in
    a quick enough fashion to actually bring down the line.
    	1 - it was somewhat mentioned above, but if i were a kiddie that
    was attempting to SYN flood someone, either from one host or many, i would
    have made sure that all of the systems i was working on were attacking at
    the same time. since the time stamps differ (#2) and that the source
    addresses differ, this plays a big factor.

    Now for some converse notes....
    It was mentioned as a big part that 1) this is a dialup line, and 2) it
    was only connecting at 9600. This could mean that the packets weren't even
    getting to my system at all and could have been arriving at a much heavier
    frequency.

    I mentioned that all of the systems could have been running on different
    platforms i have run a few scans on the targetted systems and have found
    that many appear to be MS Windows 2000 systems with some common ports >
    1024 open (none of which being the targetted port might I add), and that
    other systems are different platforms or are protected by different
    platforms. ( i've since then added a directory called scans/ that has all
    of the output )

    So, the question really still remains as it was and makes me wonder even
    more:
    	why all the different source addresses?
    	why all the different platforms / source system types?
    	why only 3 connection attempts before stopping?
    	why the large time scale between hits?
    	why only that one day and never again?

    If you, or anyone else can answer this, please do for I am at a loss.

    Thanks,
    Ryan Yagatich  <supportat_private>
            Pantek, Incorporated
     (877) LINUX-FIX - (440) 519-1802